A Collection of Mythic Tales
Tales of Desire, Beauty, and Pleasure
Zimbell House Publishing is holding open submissions for short stories centered around Aphrodite. Dig deep into your writing toolbox and stretch the boundaries of the typical lore. Yes she was reported to be the most beautiful woman/goddess that ever lived, but what does actually mean? How did that impact her day to day life? Was she ever taken seriously or was she simply an ornament? What did her non-romantic relationships look like?
Desire takes many forms. Show our readers what desire looks like from Aphrodite’s POV. Is it a curse? What does it do to a person to be lusted after? How does it affect her psyche?
Pleasure also takes many forms. Enjoying a fine meal can be considered a form of pleasure, the laughter of a close friend can cause pleasure. Is Aphrodite responsible for all forms? Or just the sexual? How does she interact with her divine siblings?
Give our readers a fully developed Aphrodite, one that resonates with the ages.
- Please keep foul language to a minimum-it loses its punch if over-used.
- Dialogue needs to be believable, and please keep dialects/slang to a bare minimum.
- Please show more of the action, than just telling the reader what happens.
Submissions of both short stories and novellas to this anthology are welcome, please keep in mind the minimum word count is 3,200 and the maximum word count is 20,000.
This anthology is a great opportunity to showcase emerging writers and allow them to build their professional platforms.
Submission Deadline: June 30, 2018 with a targeted release date of early September 2018.
Submit your best work. We will be doing light editing as necessary to fit the standards we strive to maintain.
- Any work under 3,200 words will be automatically disqualified for this anthology.
- The work must not have appeared in print or online anywhere before.
- All submissions must be in English.
- Each author may submit up to three (3) unique works—please submit them separately.
- Work must be in Microsoft Word or RTF, double spaced, 12 point font-no headers/footers.
All contributing authors will receive a free copy of the book in softcover. Authors that are chosen for the anthology will not be paid nor receive royalties for their submission. This is an opportunity to build your platform.
Submission Deadline: June 30, 2018.