A Collection of Intrigue
Chipper Press is looking for short stories that feature a female sleuth. We want these stories to be set in a middle-grade school. It can be a spy ring or a single amateur detective. Keep in mind these tales are intended for middle-graders.
What's really in that school lunch special? What actually happened to the class pet? Is the teacher really an alien? Why does the school mascot seem so familiar? These are just some of the things that can be investigated by our Spy Girl.
Submissions of both short stories and novellas to this anthology are welcome, please keep in mind the minimum word count is 4,500 and the maximum word count is 17,000.
- Dialogue needs to be believable, and please keep dialects/slang to a bare minimum if you must use them.
- No head-hopping or POV changes. Pick one point of view and stick with it.
- Please show more of the action than just telling the reader what happens.
This anthology is a great opportunity to showcase emerging writers and allow them to build their professional platforms.
Submission Deadline: September 30, 2019, with a targeted release date of early November 2019.
Submit your best work. Poorly formatted and unedited work will be turned down. Please use Americanized English spellings. We will be doing light editing as necessary to fit the standards we strive to maintain.
- Any work under 4,500 words will be automatically disqualified for this anthology.
- The work must not have appeared in print or online anywhere before.
- All submissions must be in English.
- Each author may submit up to three (3) unique works—please submit them separately.
- Work must be in Microsoft Word or RTF, double-spaced, 12-point font-no headers/footers.
All contributing authors will receive a free copy of the book in softcover. Authors that are chosen for the anthology will not be paid nor receive royalties for their submission. This is an opportunity to build your platform and fan base.
Submission Deadline: September 30, 2019